Gail Helle: "Don was a sentimental guy. Don was determined to play the fiddle and his chording on the piano was one of the best. He loved dancing."

Lee Helle: "Dad was strong as a bull ox, built like a short fullback. Dad was one of the best rifle shots I have ever known. A avid fox hound man.He really enjoyed spending half the night listening to his hounds running a fox. Honest as the day was long, didn't drink, never smoked, had no use for any man who abused women or children. Would give the shirt off his back to anyone who was down on their luck. Dad was killed in an accident 18 July 1961."
The following obituary was in the newspaper:
Donald Helle, 52, a former Fulton county resident, was electrocuted Tuesday afternoon, while at work in a wooded area near Tiskilwa. An inquest conducted at the scene showed that Helle's death occurred accidentally when a truck crane boom, operated by another worker struck high voltage power line. Helle was on the truck helping load wood. He and his brothers, Gene and Verle, operated as sawmill at Oregon, IL.
His wife, four sons, three daughters, his mother, nine brothers and two sisters survive him.

Ethel: "Don and I had our own language. If anyone wanted to know what we were saying, I did the interpreting, then we would continue our conversation in our own language."

Sheldon: "I remember the day Don asked me to go fox hunting with him. We loaded up hound dogs in his open car and drove about twenty miles. We let the dogs out for the "Big Chase." We were supposed to see some foxes go by with the dogs right behind them. We stood on a COLD hill all day - never did see a fox or a dog. I was not sure I would survive that day, but somehow, I did. Night time came and the dogs returned. I think it took met hree days to thaw out. I never forgot my first and last day fox hunting. Don entered a borrowed Model T Ford coupe in the "Slow Car Race," at the Cuba Home Coming. A five dollar prize would go to the slowest car. The race was one block. Don was great with cars, a real professional mechanic. He retarded the spark, changed the throttle linkage. The race was on.When all the other cars had traveled the block, Don and I were just past the half way mark. It was a great thrill to come in last. Don got the five dollars - Big money for a teenage boy back in the 20's."

Kenneth wrote the following about his father:
"I am going to run my hounds tonight; Them old coyotes will be in for a fight.
I have six hounds that are close and dear; When I hear them run I wish Dad was back here.
Dad would be proud of the hounds I keep; Some day in foxhunter's heaven Dad and I will meet.
Until that day comes I will do my best; Cause some day I know I will get my rest.
If my kids are as proud of me as I was Dad; The good Lord knows I won't be sad."
Note: Kenneth died suddenly in an accident at the age of 46.

Marilynn: "Dad was a very hard working, fun loving man. He owned and operated his sawmill and also farmed. We always had a couple milk cows. He bought 55 acres outside of Putnam and raised cattle and sheep. Dad had two passions - Hunting and ice creams. He always had guns and foxhounds and loved to spend the nights listening to his dog run a fox. We spent many a night when I was growing up parked along a dirt road listening to the dogs run. In the winter, Dad would day hunt with an eye on profit. Any fox he saw, he shot for the pelt." (Sharon Bearce)